Sunday, June 23, 2013

Complaint

My mum doesn't understand me.

Mum : The school says they cancelled all holiday activities so you don't have to go this week.
Me : I have to go.
Mum : No you don't.
Me : I have to go.
Mum : No you don't.
Me : I have to go.
Mum : Why do you have to go?
Me : I need to finish building the (water tank).
Mum : Why can't you build it at home?
Me : All the materials are in school.
Mum : Isn't the school closed?
Me : Only Thursday and Friday.
Mum : That's not what I heard. Who's your teacher-in-charge?
Me : Mr Tan Hoe Teck.
Mum : Forward me his email, I want to see.

Let's analyse this.

1. Reason why she says I don't have to go

Simply put, the school has addressed the recent haze situation stating that all activities during the holidays have been cancelled. 

While this make sense, keep in mind that the reason I am going to school is on my own accord, to complete construction of a water tank, which will be used for the Singapore International Science Challenge (SISC) the following week.

The construction of this tank was intended to be last Friday, but due to my absence for the whole week, my team mates were unable to complete the construction. This week, both my team mates will be unavailable to help build the tank. As a member of the team, I must take responsibility for the task and ensure that it is completed as soon as possible. While I am at liberty to just stay at home and do nothing, nobody else is able to finish the construction but me, and blatantly ignoring my duties is not something I wish to do.

Also, if the posts on the school website and student blog are carefully studied, no evidence points to the fact that the school is closed, only that no activities will be carried out. Students are therefore still allowed to enter the school to do as they want to, or need to.















Also keep in mind that the haze situation is momentarily kept at bay by some kind winds blowing the haze somewhere else. When the haze returns, all it takes is for me to put on an N95 mask and the exposure to the dangerous particles is greatly reduced. Nothing I can't handle.

My mum needs to understand that this piece of work is important, albeit requires completion ASAP. While it is miscommunication and lack of manpower on my team's part, my mother needs to understand that a school holiday is not really a holiday, it's more of a study break. It is not as if my mother doesn't understand what it's like to have important work. No, it's not like she doesn't know what it's like to be busy. In fact, she already is.  Have I ever complained that she should stop doing work? No, I respect the fact that she is hardworking and I respect the fact that what she is doing is important. I think that she should realize that I have more important things to do than to stay at home and laze around all day. I'm sorry that the times of true relaxation have flown by. I'm sorry I don't spend as much time with her as I used to. I wish I could. I really do. And though I know my logic is flawed somewhere, I hope you understand what I'm saying.

Please understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment